I have been the principal Producer with theatre company TalkShow (formally TOOT) since 2012 & Co-Artistic Director of The Spire, a performance and development space located in East Brighton, since 2013.
The Spire is a performance and development space housed in the Grade II listed former St. Mark’s Chapel and located in East Brighton.
The magnificent space is an open-access arts and making space – a place for performance makers, community collaboration, live events and experimentation. We support individuals and companies working across all art forms. Our artistic policy prioritises:
- Projects that engage with and elevate marginalised artists and communities
- Projects with a clear link to communities living locally to The Spire
- Projects that utilise the full creative potential and scale of the beautiful Grade II listed building in where The Spire Arts is based
- Participatory projects that produce meaningful exchanges between artists and communities encouraging creativity regardless of how a person might identify
- New work over remounts – be it devised, scripted or choreographed
- Projects that are considered and respectful of the building’s heritage, whilst recognising our commitment to progressive values and free creative expression
In the past we have collaborated with Brighton Festival (Perhaps All the Dragons, Lou Reed Drones, New Blood), Brighton Fringe (BF International Hub), Abigail Conway, Panti Bliss, Scottee, Tramfrau, New Writing South and Marlborough Productions, presented a site-specific run of TrueStory’s A Christmas Carol and hosted numerous other artists and companies in residence.
TalkShow create and deliver live performance, participatory projects and work for digital platforms where the audience is at the heart and has an important role to play. The work flips modern fears and anxieties into collective experiences, often taking a familiar setting and transforming it to reveal something new. The company works with a wide array of collaborators and expect everyone, audiences and performances alike to dive in!
'The work is always beautifully performed, cleverly constructed & tackles it's themes intelligently but with articulacy & humour'
– John Luther, South Street
‘TOOT's slick, clever little show plays astutely on that desire [to achieve], manipulating the audience's eagerness to be winners in the game of life’
– Lyn Gardner, The Guardian
In the past we have been commissioned by Ovalhouse, Shoreditch Town Hall, The New Wolsey & South Street & supported by Derby Theatre, the Lowry, Pulse Festival, Cambridge Junction & Latitude Festival. We have toured widely, to multiple regions across the country & to Edinburgh Fringe.
In 2021 TalkShow is developing its fourth show Telethon in partnership with Shoreditch Town Hall and the Lowry. It will premiere in 2022.